Tuesday, April 25, 2006

Я иду на концерт Sigur Ros!!

That's right, I was (seemingly) wasting time on the Internet and decided to visit my dearest Icelandic band's website. There, I was astonished to learn that Sigur Ros are making a stop in Chicago on their current tour, something I wasn't even aware of. Sigur Ros released their latest album back in the Fall of 2005. At the time, I was living in Krasnograd and didn't have access to a store that would be selling the CD. I also didn't have the patience, or realy want to spend the money, to have amazon.com ship a package to me from the States. I mentioned my frustrations to my friend Dima while walking home one night from the computer club. Dima's response was, "Why don't I just look for it; maybe I can download it from someone else." To make a long story short, several days later, Dima gifted me with a beautifully burned copy of Takk.

To date, I've had the great fortune of seeing these guys play twice, first in Chicago (fall 2002), then in Cleveland (spring 2003). I could have seen them probably a third time, but was silly enough to figure that it was more important for me to write a review of a Pulitzer Prize-winning poet (name escapes me) than see Sigur Ros play less than a week after having just heard them in Ohio. Looking back, I realize that I would have had a much better time at the concert in Loiusville, even if it had been the exact same performance. It was an awesome performance!

So, May 9th, at 7:30pm will be my third concert. They're playing at the Civic Opera House; not a bad way to introduce myself to that venue. My friend, Ryan, was generous enough to agree to come with me. One thing I love about Sigur Ros, is that they seem to have had me in mind when they went about deciding how to have a concert. I'm not terribly fond of dancing and acting up and pretending to be insane, so it was a great relief to me that being at a Sigur Ros concert is a bit like being at a recital, just a tad louder.

By the way, if anyone wants to listen to some of their music, watch a video, or even watch a 134-minute concert, you can do so at www.sigur-ros.co.uk The "glosoli" video is really good. I actually liked the song even more after watching the video.

No comments: